Rebecca Janet Wade
Partner Rebecca Janet Wade focuses on family law and criminal defense, representing clients in cases of divorce, child custody and visitation, child support, and alimony. She specializes in criminal and civil domestic violence cases, both defending clients who are facing that charge as well as representing victims of domestic violence. Ms. Wade has extensive experience with protective orders and laws involving physical abuse, assault and injury, emotional abuse, threats of violence, and more. Her work defending the mother of a young child left in a hot car seat received considerable media attention.
Ms. Wade grew up in Alexandria, Virginia, and graduated magna cum laude from the University of Richmond School of Law.
Right out of law school, Ms. Wade went to work for the Public Defender’s Office for Fauquier and Rappahannock Counties, where she devoted more than five years to representing clients who were charged with a wide range of offenses, from traffic infractions to serious felonies such as aggravated malicious wounding, drug distribution, and sex crimes.Ms. Wade tried hundreds of bench trials and more than two dozen jury trials. She also handled appeals and numerous appearances at the Court of Appeals of Virginia and the Supreme Court of Virginia, earning victories in both Courts *.
PROFESSIONAL ASSOCIATIONS AND MEMBERSHIPS
- Alexandria Bar Association, Director
- Fairfax Bar Association
- National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
- Virginia Trial Lawyers Association
HONORS AND AWARDS
- Recognized in the 2018-19 The Best Lawyers in America©
- 2016-18 Super Lawyers Rising Star in Northern Virginia and Washington D.C.
- Lawline’s Top 20 Women Faculty of 2016, Above The Law
- Jarvis v. Commonwealth, Supreme Court Record No. 100999 (2010)
- Quintanilla v. Commonwealth, Supreme Court Record No. 101298 (2010)
- Dawson v. Commonwealth, Court of Appeals Record No. 0220-11-4 (2011)
- Nealey v. Commonwealth, Supreme Court Record No. 111305 (2012)
- Melara v. Commonwealth, Supreme Court Record No. 120134 (2012)
- Commonwealth v. Jefferson, 60 Va. App. 749 (Court of Appeals of Virginia 2012)
AREAS OF PRACTICE
25% Family Law 25% Divorce and Separation 25% Domestic Violence 25% Criminal Defense
Spanish Portuguese French
Virginia, 2007 Virginia Supreme Court, 2007 U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia, 2013 U.S. Bankruptcy Court Eastern District of Virginia, 2013
University of Richmond J.D. magna cum laude - 2007 McGill University B.A. - 2004 Honors: With Honors Major: Honours Economics Minor: Hispanic Languages
PAST EMPLOYMENT POSITIONS
Office of the Public Defender, Assistant Public Defender, 2007 - 2013 Wade, Friedman & Sutter, P.C., 2013 - 2015