Foster S. B. Friedman
Office: 616 N Washington St., Alexandria, VA 22314
Foster Friedman concentrates on planning and controversy matters involving estates and trusts. He has extensive experience advising clients on the transfer of wealth from one generation to another, including the orderly and tax-efficient succession of family-owned businesses, through the preparation and implementation of Wills, Trusts, Family Limited Partnerships and Limited Liability Companies.
Mr. Friedman serves individual clients who seek to transfer assets efficiently to their chosen beneficiaries. As a part of our estate planning services, we also consider the impact of federal income, estate, gift, and generation-skipping transfer taxes on the transmission of wealth. We often help our clients achieve tax savings by establishing trusts for the benefit of family members. We also advise our clients about the many forms of charitable giving that may be used to reduce taxes.
Planning of this nature includes providing for the special needs of family members, protecting the family assets, and assuring professional management of these assets.
We advise executors and trustees about the administration of estates and trusts and guide them in all aspects of fulfilling their responsibilities, including advice on income taxation of estates and trusts as well as gift and estate taxation. We represent clients in resolving will disputes, interpreting wills and trusts, and related litigation.
PROFESSIONAL ASSOCIATIONS AND MEMBERSHIPS
- Alexandria Bar Association, Immediate Past President, 2007
- Alexandria Bar Association, President, 2006
- Alexandria Bar Association, Treasurer and Director, 2003 – 2005
- Alexandria Bar Association, Chair of Continuing Legal Education, 2000 – 2003
- Alexandria Bar Association, Judicial Screening Committee, 2008 – 2009
- Alexandria Bar Foundation, Director, 2007 – Present
- Virginia State Bar, Trusts and Estates Section, Member
- Bar Council Representative, 18th Judicial Circuit, Virginia State Bar, 2012 – 2018
HONORS AND AWARDS
- AV Preeminent by Martindale-Hubbell
- 2020 Super Lawyer for Northern Virginia
- 2016 Legal Elite by Virginia Business Magazine
- 2017 Top Attorney – Trusts and Estates – Northern Virginia Magazine
- 2016-2020 Top Lawyer by Nothern Virginia Magazine
- 2021 Best Lawyers in America, U.S News & World Report
AREAS OF PRACTICE
50% Trust and Estate Planning 25% Trust and Estate Probate Administration 25% Trust and Estate Litigation
25% of Practice Devoted to Litigation
New York, 1990 Virginia, 1991 Massachusetts, 1988 U.S. District Court Eastern District of Virginia, 1992 U.S. Bankruptcy Court Eastern District of Virginia U.S. Court of Appeals 4th Circuit, 1991 U.S. Supreme Court, 2004
J.D. - Boston University School of Law, Boston, Massachusetts B.A. - Washington & Lee University, Lexington, Virginia Major: Economics
PRO BONO ACTIVITIES
Alexandria Bar Foundation Beat the Odds Steering Committee, Chair, 2007 - Present