At Wade Grimes Friedman Meinken & Leischner, we understand the complexities of a high net worth divorce. Whether your priorities are asset distribution, accurate valuation, mediation, privacy, or all of the above, we’re here to help.
Get What You Need
Having a high net worth means your divorce may be more complicated. There are often issues of property and business valuation, as well as tax implications, that make it essential to have experienced attorney on your side. Typically, high net worth cases involve multiple millions of dollars — and those millions are typically spread among a wide variety of asset types.
Not every divorce lawyer can handle dissolutions at that level of complexity. These cases require experienced litigators. The attorneys of Wade, Grimes, Friedman, Meinken & Leischner PLLC have a reputation for navigating the issues involved in a high net worth divorce, and for helping clients deftly handle what can be a battlefield of emotional, financial, and legal landmines.
There’s no such thing as a do-it-yourself high net worth divorce. But a few proactive steps will help as you prepare to consult with a lawyer.
- First, don’t talk about it publicly. Whether you are in the role of filing for a divorce or are the respondent, resist the common and understandable — but potentially damaging — urge to vent by sharing your situation with others. Don’t post on social media. Don’t say a word to anyone other than your lawyer about your plans or your assets.
- Inventory and gather together all your legal documents: prenuptial agreements, wills and estate plans, any and all account statements (credit cards, bank statements, investment brokerages, cryptocurrency holdings, etc.), any and all types of insurance coverage, prior divorce settlements, business ownership documents, real estate holdings, gold or artwork proof of ownership — everything.
- Give careful thought to what you want in a family law attorney. Expertise in high net worth divorces is obviously vital, but you also need to be a good fit — and you should feel comfortable articulating all this to a prospective lawyer. Pick someone you trust.
We’re Committed to You
Going through a high net worth divorce is not for the faint of heart. You need a rock-solid family attorney in Alexandria by your side who will:
- Provide you with frank and candid legal opinions of the risks and benefits associated with the different options available to you under the law.
- Fight for you to be treated fairly in any division of assets and in child custody decisions.
- Bring many years of courtroom experience and know how to skillfully put together an effective case with compelling evidence.
- Give you the leverage you need to protect your interests, through deep and specialized knowledge about divorce proceedings in the Northern Virginia region.
- Respect you and your privacy while keeping you informed.
- Understand the burdens and difficulties involved in the legal process of divorce.
When you’re ready to call, we’re ready to help. Reach us at 703-836-9030, or contact us here.