By Rebecca Wade

In this week’s FAQ Friday, Rebecca Wade, partner at Wade Grimes Friedman Meinken & Leischner, discusses sexual assault and the legal recourse victims can pursue.

Wade explains that sexual assault is probably the most underreported crime in the county. Often, because victims either don’t think they will be believed, are embarrassed, think they will be made into a laughing stock, or believe they will be blamed for the incident. But Wade says it doesn’t have to be that way.

Victims of sexual assault should consult an attorney who can help them:

  • Work through what happened
  • Present their case in front of a judge to help them seek a protective order
  • Prepare them for testimony so they can be as comfortable as possible on the witness stand during a cross-examination

Many sexual offenses also involve intimate partner violence, where the victim may be married to the perpetrator or even have children with them. In these instances, it’s imperative to consult an attorney who can secure a protective order. A protective order can:

  • Force the perpetrator to leave the house, rather than the victim
  • Help the victim seek assistance through the family court to protect themselves and children
  • Allow the victim temporary child or spousal support if eligible

About the Author

This is a photo of Rebecca Wade. She is a family law and criminal defense attorney at Old Town Lawyers.

Rebecca Janet Wade

Rebecca Wade is a partner at Wade Grimes Friedman Meinken & Leischner PLLC, practicing in all areas of family law and criminal law having experience with protective orders, divorce, child custody and visitation, child protective services investigations, juvenile delinquency, and criminal charges.

Wade has been named a 2023 Best Lawyer in America by U.S. News & World Report, a 2023 Super Lawyer in Northern Virginia and Washington D.C., and a 2020-2021 Top Lawyer by Northern Virginia Magazine.

Related Content: